August 23, 2005

Muslim Inventions

In the past couple weeks, I had made the occasional comment on Yusuf Smith's Indigo Jo Blogs; however, yesterday, I noticed that one of my recent comments had been deleted. Why, I don't know. In my opinion, the comment was rather innocuous; however, I respect Brother Yusuf's right to censor comments made on his blog. I, of course, also reserve that right, which I've exercised several times in the past on my own blogs. Regardless, I've decided to post my comments to his blog here on my own blogs, where he cannot censor me for what appears to be arbitrary reasons.

The comment that was deleted was in response to the following question: "What have Muslims invented in the last 500 years?" The writer in question asserts that Muslims have done absolutely nothing inventive in the past 500 years, which, of course, is a rather stupid and easily refutable assertion. For example, I had posted in my deleted comment a link to the Granted Patents webpage at the General Directorate of Patents - King Abdulaziz City for Science & Technology website. The page is in Arabic, however. Today, while "googling" for the KACST website, I also came across a US government webpage that categorizes by technology class all of the patents made in Saudi Arabia between 1999 and 2003.

My point in choosing Saudi Arabia for this refutation was merely to show one Muslim country's efforts in creating intellectual capital (in this case, in the form of patents). Obviously, this one country is not the entire Muslim world, but it is sufficient enough to disprove the writer's original assertion.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As-Salaamu 'alaikum,

I don't actually remember deleting your comment, so I may have done it by mistake (I probably would remember it if I'd done it on purpose). I apologise. I do, however, sometimes delete flames and their responses in order to eliminate flame wars. I'm not sure if that's what happened here.

JDsg said...

Wa 'alaikum salaam.

Apology accepted. I don't know that my response was inflamatory in your eyes or not, but I understand your position and I would almost certainly do the same if I was in your shoes. So, mistake or not, I understand. Thank you for responding and also for the links on your blog.

Jordan said...

I have always wondered that as well.

Why are there so few muslims who have one science noble prizes. Or why there aren't any cars being produced in the Arab world.

Is there something about Islam that promotes traditionalism over innovation? Not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that, in fact, many fine cultures prefer modest lifestyles without modern conviniences.

But it is strange that muslism seem to want to embrace the modern world but still overwhelmingly avoid secular liberal culture necessary for a productive economy.

And in regards to Saudi Arabia, they are so freeken rich you would expect them to have TONS of patents. (something about oil that prevents people from making an honest living!)

Nice blog by the way!!!

Deliver A Messiah "Mistaken Identity" said...

DELIVER A MESSIAH: "MISTAKEN IDENTITY" BY AGRON BELICA

About the Book

Deliver A Messiah, "Mistaken Identity" by Agron Belica brings forth an elaborative examination of who was put on the cross. Many theories suggest that the son of Mary (aka Jesus Christ) was not the person placed on the cross, but someone other than Jesus Christ himself. The author takes you through an examination paving ways of new insight of who might have been put on the cross.
To contribute to the present work, the author investigated and researched to seek the truth about the assumptive facts leading up to what people of Christendom believe to be the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. The Bible and the Koran are the main resources used as references formally presented in use of persuasive arguments and theories of why the author strongly does not believe that the son of Mary was killed nor crucified.
The author has made every effort to be as unbiased and objective in presenting the facts and interpreting the events in this present work. The author is not trying to stir up controversy, but only wishes to lead people towards what might be considered the truth about the events believed about the crucifixion. The author strongly believes that the prevailing powers during that era have camouflaged the truth. The cover-up of the crucifixion with a false pretext was to lead the masses of people in the past and at present to believe, that the son of Mary was really crucified, by the leading elite that was influenced by the Jewish religious hierarchy at that time.